Eggplant, Tomato, and Red Potato Casserole
- 2 to 3 Medium Red Potatoes, Cut into 1-Inch Cubes
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)
- 1/8 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- Sliced 1/2 Head of Garlic
- Cloves Quartered
- Sliced into Small Pieces 5 to 7 Mushrooms
- Thickly Sliced Medium Eggplant
- Fresh or Dried Basil
- Diced Oregano
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced into Small Pieces
- Fresh or Dried Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees.
2. Slice all of the ingredients in advance, preparing the mushrooms and eggplant last to minimize discoloration.
3. Place the eggplant, potatoes, and garbanzo beans in a large casserole dish.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion until it is nearly translucent. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook until softened, but do not brown. Add the tomatoes and sauté just until they are heated through. Add generous amounts of oregano, basil, salt, and pepper to taste.
5. Pour the skillet ingredients over the casserole ingredients and mix them all together. Cover the casserole and bake for 45 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8
Fresh Garden Salsa
1 cup finely chopped, peeled tomato
½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup finely chopped yellow or red onion
¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 3 jalapeño peppers (depending on how much heat you want in the final salsa), seeded and chopped
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Mix all of the ingredients in a glass bowl. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Makes 2 cups.